Wednesday 2 September 2015

Week 2 - Digital Citizenship

(August 31st)

Technology uses I have observed:

On my last teaching practice, I was able to witness a lot of positive technology uses. iPad's were used to show the children videos from YouTube when they were expanding on farm and animal interests. The teachers were in control of the iPad and would only have them out for a certain time period. I also witnessed a teacher showing 2-3 children the process of making a learning story. The children were there when the photos were taken, they witnessed the photos being put onto the computer, then onto a page where the story was written, and finally printed to be put into their portfolios. I believe this was a good process for the children as they were able to learn how things were being done, and how technology was used positively alongside the teacher. I also saw times when child would ask for cameras so they could take their own photos and work out how to use the camera that benefited their own learning.

I have also been on another placement that had a computer where children could play 'educational games' whenever they liked. While this is something I personally wouldn't want in a centre, it was a well monitored activity. Children were allowed to be on the computer 2 at a time and only have 10 minutes each. I found this an interesting experience as everything they were learning through these games (colours, shapes, sounds, animals, counting, etc) could have been done without a screen and through play.



Mind map reviewing digital citizenship:

This week our class took a focus on looking at Ribble's 'Nine Elements of Citizenship'. The nine elements were each displayed with positive and negative uses of technology and its uses for students. Below, I have created my own mind map with the points I feel are most relevant and important for technology uses in early childhood education.



I personally found the making of this mind map more challenging than I thought it would be. I tried three different website/designs before I got it to look the way I wanted it too. The writing was too small and unreadable when using other designs. This has contributed to a wonderful learning skill for me this week. My experience shows that while technology may have it's challenges, it gives greater opportunities to explore and create something in our mind and put it onto paper or online. 

I found this blog post 10 Ways To Support Learning Styles With Concept Mapping by Naomi Mihut very interesting because it shows many different visual view points and how we may each have a different way of thinking, planning, or presenting our ideas. I wanted my mind map to look a certain way. I had an idea in my head and could not settle for any other plan. I was determined to keep searching until I found what I was looking for. Because of this, I was able to display my ideas of digital citizenship in a creative, colourful way. 


- Renee O'Sullivan



No comments:

Post a Comment